SkySpecs envisions a world where wind energy is the most affordable form of electricity and therefore ubiquitous around the world. SkySpecs is helping to make this possible by automating the operations and maintenance of wind farms using advanced robotics paired with Horizon, our custom-built asset performance management software.
SkySpecs launched the world’s first completely autonomous blade inspection product in 2016 with a custom-designed drone system. Since then, SkySpecs has inspected over 25,000 wind turbines in 16 countries, becoming the world leader in understanding the health of turbine blades. Identifying issues with turbine blades is only the first step. In 2019, SkySpecs launched Horizon to be a platform for SkySpecs to offer a multi-layered solution for customers that includes: data collection, wind turbine blade engineering expertise, and a place for all stakeholders to collaborate to manage and analyze massive amounts of data, spot trends, and create plans for high-cost repair campaigns. Ultimately, this will help reduce the cost and risk of operations for the industry.
WHAT WILL I BE GETTING MYSELF INTO?
SkySpecs will probably be unlike any place you’ve ever worked. The second you walk in the door, you will feel the high energy environment filled with incredibly smart people solving hard problems. SkySpecs values collaboration, multidisciplinary problem solving, and a mantra of ‘under-promise, over-deliver’. SkySpecs is at a critical growth period with an endless number of opportunities to make an impact.
SkySpecs is seeking an early-to-mid career Flight Operations Manager to develop, grow, and manage all aspects of our rapidly expanding global pilot network. You will be responsible for the training, performance, and safety of SkySpecs drone pilots and for ensuring that all projects are executed to the highest SkySpecs standards, no matter their location. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in aviation / unmanned systems, operations, or similar.
- 3+ years of experience in flight operations or a similar function.
- 100+ logged hours as a drone pilot-in-command.
- Demonstrated team leadership and project management expertise.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, work ethic, and flexibility. Must be able to handle high-level, long-term planning one moment and switch to fast-paced project execution the next.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, project management, planning and communication skills; high attention to detail; consistent follow through; a stellar team player.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and constant changes to “the plan” with the ability to adapt quickly, juggle multiple critical deadlines, still make solid decisions, and make it all seem effortless.
- Passion for “doing whatever it takes” to get the job done.
- Ability to work from our Ann Arbor, MI office on a full-time basis.
- Ability to travel up to 30% – domestic and international – and occasionally with little notice.
- A valid driver’s license and passport.
- FAA Part 107 Commercial Drone License.
THE IDEAL FLIGHT OPERATIONS MANAGER AT SKYSPECS HAS…
- 5-10 years of experience in flight operations or a similar function.
- 3+ years managing / supervising teams of drone pilots.
- 250+ logged hours as a drone pilot-in-command.
- Significant experience with international commercial drone operations / flight permits.
- Significant travel experience – domestic and international – as a deployed drone pilot.
- A private pilot license or higher.
- Wind energy / renewables experience.
- Startup or tech experience.
IN A GIVEN WEEK, THE FLIGHT OPERATIONS MANAGER WILL…
As the Flight Operations Manager at SkySpecs, you’ll be directly responsible for a highly-skilled team of deployed drone pilots all over the world. Your ability to create and implement new processes and systems from scratch and “figure it out” when faced with challenges will be a key factor in your success. No day will be the same, but you should expect a breakdown approximately as follows:
- 40% team management: Ensure that the right number of pilots with the right certifications are ready for deployment to the necessary locations without delays. Significant, independent coordination with the pilot network and contractors to support project execution. Track and manage pilot performance metrics and KPIs. Maintain and develop relationships with existing contractors, providing them feedback and improving our processes. Source, hire, and train new pilots as the Flight Operations team continues to grow internationally.
- 25% project management: Plan and coordinate with the Field and Technical Operations Teams to ensure efficient deployments. Own, develop, and implement administrative processes for training content, pilot certifications, international flight permit applications, etc.
- 25% training materials development and administration: Own all aspects of the pilot training process. Improve the existing training curriculum and develop new content when it doesn’t exist. Then, head out to the field to train the trainers of new pilots!
- 10% jack of all trades: Documentation support, subcontractor support, safety audits, etc.
SO WHY SHOULD I WORK FOR YOU?
Glad you asked; it’s not a one-way street. We want to sell you on why we’re the best, too.
- We really trust our employees and we go above and beyond. To that end, we work with a flexible work schedule.
- You’ll receive the respect and loyalty of your teammates (and we’re not just saying that; it’s actually a thing around here).
- We offer a fun, energetic, often entertaining workplace that is open and accepting of all interests.
- We get to work in downtown Ann Arbor, which equates to restaurants, shops, coffee houses and bars just outside our front door.
- We love to grab a beer, sponsor tailgates, and share knowledge in casual settings. We like each other so we enjoy doing stuff together.
HOW TO APPLY
Please introduce yourself by sending your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter, please include why you want to work at SkySpecs and how your previous experience relates to the position described.
Our People Ops team will respond as soon as possible. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.